Our History

site image

Our roots date back to 1897, when R.J. Coulter founded Coulter Undertaking Company in Dayton, Tennessee, 30 miles northeast of Chattanooga. He started a new funeral home in 1922 at 801 Vine Street in Chattanooga. In 1960, a new branch was built at 601 Ashland Terrace. The funeral home has been remodeled three times over the years more than doubling the size of the facility. In 1980, Ross Lane purchased the funeral home changing the name to Lane Funeral Home. (Photo: Coulter Funeral Home 1897)


site image

The funeral home has received the Chattanooga Scenic City and Red Bank Chamber Beautification Awards, four Pursuits of Excellence Awards from the National Funeral Directors Association and ten Pinnacle Awards presented by Carriage Services. (photo: Coulter Funeral Home 1961)


site image

In 2004, the funeral home was runner-up in the Reader’s Choice Award (Chattanooga Times Free Press) for best funeral home in the tri-state area (out of 15 funeral homes in the contest). We received the Reader’s Choice Award as Best Funeral Home in 2006 and 2007 and top finalist (in the top three) in 2008, 2009 & 2010. (photo: Lane-Coulter Chapel 2000)

© 2017 Lane Funeral Home, Ashland Terrace. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service